Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘muddy estuary’

“二叔公” 与 “金铺”

A corner of the street that is full of pawn and jewelry shops.

 

    

     

   

   

Traditional pawn shop “二叔公” with bell shape logo.

Note :

二叔公即係當鋪,係廣東話。二叔公收二手貨押品借錢應急,客人之後可以用當票畀錢,要返件貨,叫做熟當。比如“拜二叔公”就是指将财物典当(因为旧时当铺柜台极高,当客要将财物高举才能递进柜台)。

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Kuan Ti 关帝 (God of Righteousness ‘正义’) and Kuan Ti Temple along High Street (adjacent to Petaling Street – KL’s Chinatown).The temple which houses an antique  ‘关刀guan dao ‘. This long knife was Kuan Ti’s weapon and had been brought here from China more than 100 years ago.

                    

There are two Guardian Gods of the temple standing ostentatiously outside, on either side of the entrance. This temple was built-in 1888 by the Selangor & Federal Territory Kwong Siew Association.

             

Read Full Post »

The brightly lit main entrance of the Nan Tian Temple (南天宫) set against the dark night sky.

  

The beautiful and intricate craftmanship at the ceiling of the prayer hall.

     

Green Dragon 青龙 at the left side and White Tiger 白虎 on the right side of the main door (view from inside out).

 

Nine oil lamps tied to a bamboo branch held horizontally on a high pole. “Tien kun chi fook” means the sky giving out blessings.

  

Two brightly lit pagodas on each side of the temple.

  

A set of drum and bell used to acknowledge donations from devotees.

  

Read Full Post »

  

   

   

A beautiful heritage building, but unfortunately it was left abandoned by the owners. Note the arch, a rare sight nowadays and the old-fashioned windows (above).

     

Ah, this row of pre war buildings had been renovated and were put to good use as guest houses and restaurants. You can see a lot of foreign tourists along this road, relaxing and enjoying their Chinese cuisine, drowned with pints of beers.

      

This white building housed a Chinese drama society called “Yan Keng Benevolent Dramatic Association 人镜.” Just next to it was an old tailor shop from the past, still operating under the name “Kwong Fook Wing.” Both these buildings are a very rare sight in this metropolitan city of Kuala Lumpur.

Read Full Post »

    

The Kuala Lumpur & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall雪兰莪中华大会堂(KLSCAH) is located at No: 1, Jalan Maharajalela (Birch Road), 50150 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

                                   

       

Kuala Lumpur’s landmarks have constantly been changed to cater for the growing needs of the city’s folks. The Chinese Assembly Hall is still standing majestically. Despite the fast pace development of the city, KLSCAH has been able to survive the demands of developments.

It has a glorious past, built-in 1910 and completed  about 13 years later. The historical building was the center for cultural and political gatherings of the Chinese community when Kuala Lumpur was still part of Selangor and even until now. This all white building was beautifully lit up at night throughout the year and big red lanterns adorned its doorway. It was indeed a pride of the Chinese community of this nation.

You can see a pair of Chinese guardian lions (石獅) standing firmly at the main entrance. They are believed to have a powerful mystic protective power. Such powerful icons can always be found at the home of the wealthy, temples and associations. The lions are always created in pairs, with the male playing with a ball and the female with a cub. They represented the harmony of yin and yang.

         

        

This building used to face a tall and colorfully lighted fountain at a roundabout (now an extinct roundabout called Bulatan Merdeka). It was one of Kuala Lumpur’s most popular sightseeing attractions during the late 60’s and early 70’s (the road was formerly named as Birch Road).

Further down this road was the famous Chinatown, a must go shopping district for tourists both local and foreign alike. Come and feel the splendour of the past in one of the most historical area of Kuala Lumpur.

More links to explore ….

Read Full Post »