Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Chinatown’

The Central Market 中央艺术坊 is located on Jalan Hang Kasturi, just a stone away from Chinatown on Petaling Street. It was founded in 1888 and was originally used as a wet market, while the current building was completed in 1937. It has since been classified as a Heritage Site by the Malaysian Heritage Society and it is now a landmark for Malaysian culture and heritage.

This building was built by the British who were ruling Malaya at that time and it was used as a wet market for Kuala Lumpur folks and tin miners. It was very convenient to the early city dwellers because it was within the vicinity of Klang bus stand, the hub of feeder bus service for Kuala Lumpur and the train station.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Further expansions were made in 1889, 1895, 1920 and 1921. By 1933, the expansions to the warehouse turned the market now to its present size.Hence, in the early 1980s, it was renovated and reopened for use in year 1986. Instead of being used as a wet market, it has since then became a leading arts and crafts centre in the city.

 

 

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

“二叔公” 与 “金铺”

A corner of the street that is full of pawn and jewelry shops.

 

    

     

   

   

Traditional pawn shop “二叔公” with bell shape logo.

Note :

二叔公即係當鋪,係廣東話。二叔公收二手貨押品借錢應急,客人之後可以用當票畀錢,要返件貨,叫做熟當。比如“拜二叔公”就是指将财物典当(因为旧时当铺柜台极高,当客要将财物高举才能递进柜台)。

Read Full Post »

Kuan Ti 关帝 (God of Righteousness ‘正义’) and Kuan Ti Temple along High Street (adjacent to Petaling Street – KL’s Chinatown).The temple which houses an antique  ‘关刀guan dao ‘. This long knife was Kuan Ti’s weapon and had been brought here from China more than 100 years ago.

                    

There are two Guardian Gods of the temple standing ostentatiously outside, on either side of the entrance. This temple was built-in 1888 by the Selangor & Federal Territory Kwong Siew Association.

             

Read Full Post »

Windows to “Chee Cheong Kai”  茨厂街 then and now ………………..

            

        

         

     

Read Full Post »

  

   

   

A beautiful heritage building, but unfortunately it was left abandoned by the owners. Note the arch, a rare sight nowadays and the old-fashioned windows (above).

     

Ah, this row of pre war buildings had been renovated and were put to good use as guest houses and restaurants. You can see a lot of foreign tourists along this road, relaxing and enjoying their Chinese cuisine, drowned with pints of beers.

      

This white building housed a Chinese drama society called “Yan Keng Benevolent Dramatic Association 人镜.” Just next to it was an old tailor shop from the past, still operating under the name “Kwong Fook Wing.” Both these buildings are a very rare sight in this metropolitan city of Kuala Lumpur.

Read Full Post »

The Chin Woo was officially founded in 1915 by the students of a wushu shi fu (), a Master and teacher of wushu called Huo Yuan Jia (), ………….Many sources say that Chin Woo was founded by Huo YuanJia (霍元甲).

                  

                

The only public pool can be found in KL center, that’s Chin Woo’s swimming pool.

CHINWOO ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION

Chin Woo’s spirits

CHIN WOO’S THREE VIRTUES

WISDOM: Man of Wisdom cannot be misleading
BENEVOLANCE: Man of Benevolence has no worry
COURAGE: Man of Courage has no fear 

CHIN WOO’S TEN CONCEPTS 

Man: To achieve all around ability through moral, intellectual, and physical training

Character: Respect for others and self-respect through justice and integrity

Caring: Humanity and equality through honesty and frankness

Words and Deeds: A person’s dealings are judged by his words and deeds

Trustworthiness: To keep every pledge and promise

Punctuality: To be punctual in appointment with no apology

Justice: To uphold justice impartially

Service: To render service with honor

Welfare: To give and not to take

Fraternity: To love others as you love yourself and your own family

              

Read Full Post »

    

The Kuala Lumpur & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall雪兰莪中华大会堂(KLSCAH) is located at No: 1, Jalan Maharajalela (Birch Road), 50150 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

                                   

       

Kuala Lumpur’s landmarks have constantly been changed to cater for the growing needs of the city’s folks. The Chinese Assembly Hall is still standing majestically. Despite the fast pace development of the city, KLSCAH has been able to survive the demands of developments.

It has a glorious past, built-in 1910 and completed  about 13 years later. The historical building was the center for cultural and political gatherings of the Chinese community when Kuala Lumpur was still part of Selangor and even until now. This all white building was beautifully lit up at night throughout the year and big red lanterns adorned its doorway. It was indeed a pride of the Chinese community of this nation.

You can see a pair of Chinese guardian lions (石獅) standing firmly at the main entrance. They are believed to have a powerful mystic protective power. Such powerful icons can always be found at the home of the wealthy, temples and associations. The lions are always created in pairs, with the male playing with a ball and the female with a cub. They represented the harmony of yin and yang.

         

        

This building used to face a tall and colorfully lighted fountain at a roundabout (now an extinct roundabout called Bulatan Merdeka). It was one of Kuala Lumpur’s most popular sightseeing attractions during the late 60’s and early 70’s (the road was formerly named as Birch Road).

Further down this road was the famous Chinatown, a must go shopping district for tourists both local and foreign alike. Come and feel the splendour of the past in one of the most historical area of Kuala Lumpur.

More links to explore ….

Read Full Post »